In this post, we’ll take a detailed look at Seaforth & Litherland, a station on the Merseyrail network.
Seaforth & Litherland Train Station opened on the Liverpool, Crosby and Southport Railway as Seaforth Station on 1st October 1850.
Originally the station was ground level, with a level crossing instead of the current-day embankment and bridge.
The LCSR was absorbed by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway at the start of 1855.
Seaforth station was officially renamed Seaforth and Litherland in July 1905.
The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway amalgamated with the London and North Western Railway on 1 January 1922 and in turn was grouped into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway at the start of 1923.
The station provided a service from 2nd July 1905 to Dingle in south Liverpool (and all intermediate stations running parallel with the Liverpool dock system) via Liverpool on the Liverpool Overhead Railway until 30 December 1956, when the overhead railway was closed and later demolished.
Nationalisation followed in 1948 and in 1978 the station became part of the Merseyrail network’s Northern Line.
Today the station remains, and serves the Merseyrail northern line with two platforms.
Media of Seaforth & Litherland Train Station
Location of Seaforth & Litherland Train Station
Seaforth and Litherland by Owen Dunn – A good collection of images of the present-day station.
- 18/04/2020 – Initial Post – Sefton Digital Team
Want to contribute to this page? Correct a mistake?
Get in touch on the Contact page.
Station in 1876 – Sefton Digital Archive
Historic Station Photographs – Litherland Digital
2012 Image – El Pollock